Sunday, September 22, 2013

#sept19th2006

Hi friends,

To many people, September 19th might hold no significance. It might be a friend or loved one's birthday(s); it might be the day that he/she starts a new job or new school year; or it could be the day that you have lost someone. For me personally, September 19th 2006 has quite a big impact on my life. I once again was hit by vulnerability. Now I have learned to admit that we can be vulnerable every now and then and it will be okay. But I can never forgot the emotional distress that I went through that night.

September 19th 2006. That was the night that the latest coup d'etat in Thailand took place. I remember getting a call from my mom, telling me that a military coup d'etat will take place tonight. Dad won't be coming home tonight. He is on the way to my uncle's. One could imagine how shocked a seventeen years old can be in a situation like that. Back then my dad held in a position in the government, and of course that means if this situation turns bad.. it might potentially be bad for him as well.

I rushed to watch the news on the tv in my parent's bedroom. The waiting was painful, really. Then when the situation rolled out, it was too fast to even comprehend. First our former PM announced a emergency decree through skype from NY since he was there to participate in UN General Assembly. All of the sudden it was cut off half way, and all I can hear was "Beeeeeepppppp....". This is probably most of how all of the other people felt. Confused. I was very much confused, and what was worse was that we were informed that dad didn't go to my uncle's but chose to go back to the gov't house instead. Panic, confusion, fear, as much as a seventeen years old could feel.

I really hates politics.


There was no news.. everyone media was cut off. My imagination ran wild. Will my dad be put to prison? What will happened? Nobody can tell me anything. I cried.. and my brother cried.. (which our parents made fun of us later on.. grr such meanies!). How are we supposed to react in this situation. I know I felt vulnerable, I was so scared and I was helpless.

Next morning, we were told that our dad was held on a house arrest at one of the military base nearby. Only families are allowed to visit. Grandma was there at our place in the morning. She, also, was in distress. I think not knowing what was going to happen was the scariest part. She thought she has lost her son(s) once, and now.. who knew what was going to happen. We went and visit dad. Everything was so controlled. Mom told dad about us crying. Dad laughed (mehh!!! I still pouted about it). Anyhow, seeing him in safe and sound condition was assuring me.

The aftermath was somewhat of a blur. A military was running the government for a while. Dad was home everyday for a next few weeks (yes, that is not so common). Phones tapped (OH YES, this is not a conspiracy theory, it was proven. Mid way through the conversation when it started to be more serious about politics, it was cut off.. Yes, we are not overthinking it). Discussion of relocation pops up in our family dinner. Visiting Hong Kong, Australia, and all that. Luckily, none of that really ever happens. Though I always remembers what dad always says, "What am I going to do elsewhere and retired? Working in McDonald for minimum wages?" Yes, I think it would be hilarious to see him work in a McDonald.


I would never forgot that night and how it has shaped me. The decision that dad took to head back to the govt house rather than to run away. The ignorance of other people in my generation about this political changes. Oh, how it shook me. Oh, how it inspired me.

Seven years passed. Every now and then what I think about I can still feel those emotions running through me, tears and fear.


Best,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment