Monday, October 22, 2012

Dimsum Land turns Outdoor Land

Dear friends,

Coming to Hong Kong, I was under the impression that I am coming to live in one of the most crowdest place in the world (apparently that is not true, although sometimes it seems like it could be), one of the best food in the world, but a claustrophobic would just die living in HK apartments.  At some point earlier, I just know that I would never live in Hong Kong. And I remember saying that.

Although it took me some time to ease in to Hong Kong lifestyle, now I really have grown to love this city. Its accessibility and its systematic transport system. Many of my friends actually told me that the "honor system" tends to works perfectly well here, but not things have changed for a bit. Although coming from the absolute (and not relative, since I have never lived in other Chinese-speaking city) perspective, HK people are rather rude.

Hey, hey.. this is not a blog to rant about HK but rather I want to express how appreciative I am that I chose to come to HK. I met many good friends and I have learned a lot of these great people around me this year. It's going to be approximately 1 year next Saturday since I arrived in Hong Kong for this job.

So... back to my point on being appreciative. I have recently becoming more active, and start hiking and playing hockey. I have realized and am very much impressed by HK people's activeness. They are always busy doing something, playing sports, going to the beach, hiking, BBQ-ing, etc. But I have fell in love with HK outdoors. It's like a hidden gem. Almost like Seattle Summer as the Northwest secret, just almost though. But this recent eye-opening completely alters my perspective of HK and I recalled the last time I went home, my mom said "you really do travel like a local." Yes, I am proud to travel like local. Spending time outside in HK is.. one word... Epic.

My colleagues/ex-colleagues hiked up to this beach yesterday, Ham Tin Beach. This is claimed to be the most beautiful beach in HK, and it surely is (see picture below). Took this picture with iphone, sorry for the bad quality and my scribble on the photos. But well if you want the better version, go find me on instagram (@mzkaew).

Despite the obvious sign. We went out there anyway, just to see how scary it is.
Well I go there for taking a picture, but my friends are probably not there just to check how cool it is.
Credit to: Pauline Chan


My intention is to explore HK outdoor a little bit more while I am here. Finish the HK trail by the end of this year. And appreciate HK a little bit more each day. Perhaps even fall in love with it like I did with Seattle.

Okay, I should go now! Hope you all enjoy the picture! Ciao!

Best,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment