Thursday, July 28, 2011

my unfortunate dependence on the social network.

Dear Friends,

I just watched The Social Network. And yes, it is indeed a little too late. I remember everyone was so excited to go watch it because it's about the creation of facebook which has become much of our generation culture. The movie is somewhat subjective, but I know isn't that the whole point of entertainment. You need a point of view.

Well more importantly, I do realized that I am one of those people. Admittedly, the first thing I checked when I get online (as much as I tried to resist) is my gmail accounts, my school email account and of course facebook. I remember in 2006 that I first got facebook. I remember having hi5 and myspace. Those were the "cool thing" then.  Senior year in high school, back then there's an age limit on facebook. Whatever happens to that. now children have facebook, which I have always find that rather sad. Hell, even DOGS have facebook.

My point is.. as I'm ranting about facebook. My life is pretty much on facebook. I found my friends from all over the world and be able to connect with them as though we have never been parted. In 2006, I got the opportunity to have friends from all over the world-- Ghana, Scotland, United States, China, Korea, etc. It was amazing. But all we have was each other emails and maybe abandoned myspace pages. But then one day, my friend John invited all of us to join facebook. I was in Thailand back then and hey.. what the fuck is facebook? That was my first thought. But hell, it seems interesting. So yes, I signed up, pretty much lying about my age. Yes, I was one of the kids that got facebook. I didn't know what I'm getting myself into. I didn't know that facebook will become the thing that people are talking about all the time. I was hooked.

The Social Network made me feel rather sad and nostalgic. But that is pretty much my story about how I got facebook. What is your story?


Sincerely,

emily alexandreta

No comments:

Post a Comment