Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Squid fishing, only in Hong Kong.

Dear friends, 

Last night, I got a chance to go squid fishing in Hong Kong! I mean I heard about this activity before but I were not too interested. But since my friends/colleagues are going, of course, I've tagged along.  

So having to be in Seattle for quite some times. When I think any kind of fishing. I think BIG. Big size, big boats, big equipment. I think "the Deadliest Catch" (Yes! I really thought). Well, I know...that isnt really pragmatic. And I thought about different more realistic scenarios for HK waters. It was involved lots of like random equipments and really churning water (I remember watching the perfect storm when I was younger, that image of the big waves turning the ship over is quite traumatizing really).

But the experience was much less dramatic but definitely was as much fun as I thought. The satisfaction of catching just one damn squid is much more than you think! (Yes, even if it's smaller than a palm size. 

The group first met up in Sai Kung to board the boat at around 7pm. Squids are typically caught at night because they are attracted to lights. I recalled seeing all these fishing boats with ridiculously BIG bulbs in Taiwan earlier last August. Then at night during my visit, I also saw a lot of bright ships over the sky line. 

Sai Kung piers are the most crowded on Saturday night. "Ah, I guess the locals do this a lot too!" I have seen lots of groupons but have never really thought about buying as I have mentioned. Anyway, we hop on the boat and off we go..!

One of the batches that we've got that evening.
On the junk boat, heading off to our "squid fishing" spot.

The apparatus that we used to catch them squids!! Just hooks and strings!

After one hour of moving my arm and throwing out the hooks over and over again, and complaining out loud. I successfully got two squid!! Woot woot!! Anyway, my colleague is a pro, she got 13 (grrrr...!!). It was fun and a good experience. The squids were delicio as well! ngum ngum ngum.

oh yeah, we've got enough for four dishes.
Anyway, this should really sum up the experience. Wheee! More to update about my upcoming birthday weekend!

Lots of love,
Emily




No comments:

Post a Comment