Thursday, January 5, 2012

Inspiring Moments

Dear friends,


I spent a day at home, literally sleeping all day since unfortunately I feel sick. I took a day off from work and get some rest, which turns out to be rather beneficial. Because now I felt great and I feel ready to tackle more work tomorrow. 


Since today I don't have the feeling, "I-need-to-get-better-so-I-need-to-sleep", I got a chance to watch the video. And the video is actually quite inspring and it reminds me of the book I once read by Steven Johnson, namely "Where Good Ideas Come From: The Natural History of Innovation" (recommended by my dear friend, Jade, an architect). Here's a quick introductory video for the book, which I recommend everyone to read.

Eric Lander mentioned in the last part of the video that sometimes when you get stuck on one problem in the scientific world, you have to be stubborn and hold on to that thought, because the solution takes time to surface, and eventually it will come about. What he also stated about how the young scientists have so respect for boundaries of scientific fields was also very true and inspiring. Well, to be honest, it helps motivate me as a person and also boost up my self-esteem. For those of you who don't really know much about me, I studied Economic and Biology (Physiology) and sometimes I feel lost in between the two worlds. I know there is existing connection between the two fields and it is a rather useful one which has keeps appearing once in a while. But during the time when my ideas don't collide with other creative thoughts and ideas, I feel like maybe it would have been better if I study one thing and give all my attention to just one field. Maybe that would have been more useful for my career development. 

But there are moments like this, when I found inspiring talks by people with experiences and amazing ideas. It helps confirmed that I had made a good decision and that we are all meant to do something in the world, but we gotta keep working hard on maintain those hunches and make sure you are gathering information about it. Make sure moment of serendipity happens to you. :)

Well, this is what I want to share of all of you. I wish someone else would find this inspiring and useful as well. As for me, I'm going back to resting and sleeping. I need to make sure my body and my brain are ready for another working day and a promising weekend! And damn, it sure is cold here in Hong Kong during the passed few days. 


Best, 
emily alexandreta

p.s. Happy New Year from Hong Kong to you all as well! 
instagram @mzkaew

No comments:

Post a Comment