Sunday, January 6, 2013

End of the World, or is it?


Dear friends, 

So it has come the time in which we all reflect upon what we have done over this past year. I meant to finish this before the new year, but then I was too busy. Anyhow this is an opportunity to do, some year-end review and listing our some resolution and reflecting among what I’ve done!

So this year – 2012, I’ve lived in Hong Kong. In my small apartment with my German roommate who I’ve grown a fond for. I really do appreciate the people I have met being here in Hong Kong, the friends I have made at work, the people whom I’ve met and admired whom has become my role models. Nevertheless, when people asked me how do I like Hong Kong so far? I’ve always answered with “it’s a love/hate relationship”.

Indeed it is a love and hate. The crowds still get to me. Always and probably always will. It’s kinda crazy how packed and dense one city can be. However, yet hiding among this massive amount of people, I’ve found comfort in behind forest of steel and tall residential buildings. I admired how enthusiastic people can be with outdoors activities. From the third perspective, we’ve always assumed its because you cannot do anything inside your small home, that is why people are more active and more engaged in outside activities. However, living here myself has stripped away those beliefs. I do admit that in some ways, that has contributed to the lifestyle here, but there are much more variables. The accessibility of things, the great urban planning and the nature of the landscape here in Hong Kong do drive people to do hiking, going to the beach, surfing, BBQ-ing and other outdoor activities. Driven to find the “unique” place outside of the “city” is another one of the reasons as I have observed.

Coming from Bangkok, I think I’m indulged. Indulged by the opportunities to see stars anywhere I go. Particularly I’ve grown up in the sub-urb of Bangkok. I have seen lots of outdoors stuff, but I have taken it for granted. I learned to take the opportunity here and just do it. Live more spontaneously and give it all for both work and my personal life. This is definitely one big thing I have learned this year. Thanks to Hong Kong and my job here.

Another big thing is what I’ve learned through my long-distance relationship. The most important thing for me this year is the ability to learn how to listen and acknowledge one’s feelings/emotions. I’ve been raised to be “solution-driven”. Always looking forward and thinking what is the next step, which I have learned this year.. that sometimes solutions do not matter at that point. Your loved ones just need someone to be there and understand where he/she is coming from and just wanted someone to listen. I’ve grown in this respect, although I have a lot more to learn. To be more considerate, more understanding, and learning how to compromise and balance personal life and working. It has always been an issue for me since…. Forever. Balancing my passions and balancing my time.

Anyhow here are some of the reflections for year 2012 for me.

My job, pro and con.
I’ve met inspiring people, who taught me things within 5 minutes of being with them. I’ve met various kinds of people who are driven by different things, and it taught me how different the business world can be. How I need to learn how to adapt, and give the most to what I value. Learn more. Don’t be scared of risks, because the higher the risks, the higher returns.

Family
I regretted not having enough time with them. I do go back home a lot, however, I still feel like kids are growing fast and my parents and grandparents are growing old much too fast, and I am missing out from their lives. I admit I am scared. I still hope to be the glue of the family like before as someone has claimed earlier. But my nephew is filling in for me for now.

      My love
I regretted certain things I’ve done this year. But I’ve learned so much from this relationship. I’ve met the one who understands me, who drives me to do what I want, who tells me thing other people won’t do, who hurts me but for my own sake. Someone who genuinely care for me and love me for who I am. I would like to be the same person for him as well. His best friend, his love and his partner. Hope we can be together soon. If not, I am sure we will learn from this and continue to grow together.

      Friends
There were times when I feel distant with them and I am scared that we will continue to grow more distant and different. But I know I can always go back to them. To talk, to discuss and to have fun. I have many groups of friends I know, some who I go crazy with and some who I go to for love issues, some who I talk to for career issues and those who I haven’t seen for age. I cannot take my friendships for granted, I have to remind myself that.

     Myself
I learned to live alone in a completely new town/city. I learned how to travel alone. I’ve learned more about myself. I learned about my loneliness, my limits, my emotions. I learned that I need to take care of myself a little bit more. Always room to grow, and I hope I do not stop learning.

Those are definitely what I’ve learned this year. And hopefully things would improve next year.

To those who actually read all of the context here, thank you. And I wish you a very happy new year!

Love,
Emily

something from my trip home this new year

No comments:

Post a Comment